Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Yasmeen



I was not supposed to be born, but I did.

The abortion couldn't take place at the right time, and my mom, wary of her unmarried status, decided to let go of her frustration, and I took birth.

Then, she sold me to a wealthy childless couple.

I never knew who my real mother was until she came to meet me that day.

We sat in silence, she cried, and I counted the ants on the wall.

"Yasmeen, someday you will understand," she said.

"There are a few things I wouldn't like to understand," and the ice never melted.


This 99 word fiction is shared with Blogging from A to Z April Challenge - Y.



25 comments:

  1. ... reminds me of my own life ... or ice never melted either

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats really sad...
    Amrit... Tell me how you managed to write such tales?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Satya ... this means a lot coming from a great stoyteller like you :-)

      Delete
  3. Its a part of our mythology. Remember Karan - putra of Kunti and Surya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A touching story and I am speechless at the outpouring of emotions, written from the heart:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know someone who has the same story.
    wonderfully written.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There would be so many Yasmeens out there. Nothing can justify the mother's act. Nothing at all. How can she expect the ice to melt?

    Nicely written, Amrit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh beautiful portrayal of emotions here! I love the way you are using characters as themes. Awesome strategy! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes the ice cannot melt... At least Yasmeen dint have any more tragedies after her birth and subsequent adoption of sorts... You have brought out the distance between them really well, counting ants on the wall, ice never melting... You are a master of words Amrit!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poignant! Loved the emotions, the mother didn't deserve a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You manage to create such emotions in such few words! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done! Maybe some things are better left alone.

    ReplyDelete