Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Meethi



"What's your name?" I asked the little girl sitting by the roadside, selling flowers, wearied in the oppressive summer heat.

"Meethi," she replied, her voice barely audible.

"That's a sweet name," I smiled, and handed her the packet of books. As a social worker, I had always advocated the need for education of poor children. Distributing books had thus become an essential  part of my mission.

She took the packet and ran towards the other children standing nearby. I gaped in shock as they tore the pages and gobbled away in delight.

Perhaps, poverty craves food more than education.


This 99 word fiction is shared with Blogging from A to Z April Challenge - M.



30 comments:

  1. It's true Amrit ....thanks for bringing out social issues in your write ups . I am glad

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bitter pill of reality is hard to swallow. Poverty is a cruel teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reality bites. A hungry mind cannot read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ... a hungry mind will need food first :-(

      Delete
  4. :( This depressed me a little bit

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you in social sector, details please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hunhhh... then participate in the corporate social responsibility projects of your IT major ! I am good at free advices.

      Delete
  6. Thats really very insightful and a very different thought...
    And thought provoking...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhhh very disturbing to say the least. Its a sad state of affairs though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reality for too many. *another a to z blogger

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea of 99 word fiction :) That's one I might have to try!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was moving! :(

    You can really make us happy or sad in just 99 words.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maslow's hierarchy of needs proved in just 99 words!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man, the ending shocked me ..

    ReplyDelete
  13. God, that was dark! How do you manage this in 99 words???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it difficult to write more ... so try winding them up soon :-p

      Delete
  14. Gobbling up paper as food is sad. I wish they had rather made boats out of them.

    ReplyDelete