Saturday, April 06, 2019

Fear

I am participating in National Poetry Writing Month 2019. 30 Poems in 30 Days is the target.

The Day 6 Prompt for #NaPoWriMo is to write a poem of the possible,that emphasizes the power of “if,” of the woulds and coulds and shoulds of the world.

Many a time we stop someone from doing something because of our concerns. That someone could be our family, or friend. It's good when we care for others, but if we are not alert, that care might cage them into a phobia. We should be more cooperative in such situations. Stopping our dear ones from pursuing their passion might have an adverse effect in all our lives.





you were miserably afraid
of the waves kissing your feet
panicking at every moment
when the water started to recede

urging me not to take you
near the tides churning the sea
you pleaded to be indoors
your voice, frighteningly dizzy

could it be 'cause of my warning
when as a child you jumped in the pool
I was scared you would be hurt
"No swimming unless 13"- I made the rule

I drove away your passion
unknowingly, replacing it with fear
only if I hadn't stopped you
can I ever forgive myself, dear


Shared with




8 comments:

  1. It's an awful thing to realize when we as parents may have contributed to our children's fears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really does call into question our overly cautious parenting skills = completely understandable but sometimes not the best in hindsight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is awful to discover that something we meant to do good for our children turns out to be harmful. No parent wants this. I empathize with this Mother/Father,,, :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not having children, I can't really comment on this. the only thing my parents did was take me to Disney movies, most of them traumatic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes restrictions can develop fear inside a person... Beautifully evocative!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes. My mother was phobic and imparted those fears to me, being fearful on my behalf. I've managed to overcome some, to some degree. Thank you for this poem and its understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, when we think we are doing the right thing and find out we didn't, it hurts. As a parent we do the best we can.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What’s amazing to me is that we don’t realize that incidents you have forgotten still lurk in the mind. Great poem, Amrit!

    ReplyDelete