Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Cats And Dogs

I am participating in National Poetry Writing Month 2019. 30 Poems in 30 Days is the target.

The Day 10 Prompt for #NaPoWriMo is to write a poem that starts from a regional phrase, particularly one to describe a weather phenomenon. I picked up an interesting phrase related to rainfall, and gave it an interesting twist.

Do read it in full screen :-)



'twas raining cats and dogs
a few of them falling on my porch
as I bent and picked up a kitten
a puppy got jealous, and I was smitten

I was stuck in a weird dilemma
"Can I keep them both, please Mama"
she nodded, refused, standing firm
"Sorry son, you can just keep one"

the puppy looked with pitied eyes
kitten mewed and stared at the skies
I didn't know what to choose
both of them were too damn cute

"Fine Mom, I keep the kitten
but tomorrow's your birthday, a gift's to be given
this puppy for you, a present from my side
look how pretty it is, black freckles on white"

she didn't refuse, and I was relieved
they were now mine, can you believe
the kitten was furry, licking my toes
I lifted the puppy and it kissed my nose


Shared with




8 comments:

  1. Who could make a decision between a puppy and a kitten! I am glad both could be kept.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a clever solution. I'm happy both found a home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it … you've captured wonderful child qualities in this (which, perhaps, we tend to lose as we 'mature') … the generosity of affection, the kind and creative approach to problem solving and the belief in happy endings. An awesome piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so sweet, and a delight to read!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This made me grin! Glad everyone found a home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whata beautiful poem about love both for animals but also the parent/child relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just delightful!💞 I am so glad both could be kept!💞

    ReplyDelete