Saturday, March 14, 2015

Being Together

I woke up with a sombre mood one Saturday morning. Not Monday, but Saturday, and that’s pretty unnatural you would say. I agree to some extent. However, often circumstances invite negativity along with them, spoiling our mood irrespective of what day it is.

How does weekend matter when you know you didn’t perform well in your last examination? Add to it living all alone in a new place, away from your family. Telephonic conversations can’t be used as a substitute all the time when you need a motivating pat on your back or a caring hand on your shoulder. Moreover, on a bad day like this, they make you feel lonelier once the conversation is over.

I still remember that day. It was raining incessantly, the roads were waterlogged and I was slated to be confined to my rented room for the whole day, which made matters worse. I had planned to go out, meet a few friends and relax, but I guessed that wasn’t on the cards. I was walking towards the kitchen to make myself a cup of tea, when I heard a faint knock on the door. Perhaps it was the sound of rain, but no, it seemed more like nails scratching on a hard surface. I opened the door but could see no one. I was about to close it when luckily my eyes turned towards the floor. I use the word ‘luckily’ ‘cause what I witnessed played a vital role in making my day pleasant and memorable.

A kitten, tiny, white, and fluffy like cotton, was staring at me with its little green eyes.

I picked up the kitten and brought it inside. Perhaps she needed shelter from the rain outside, and had somehow come across my doorstep. At least, I had some company now to spend my time.

I took out the milk carton from the refrigerator and poured some on a bowl for my little guest. I placed it before it. The kitten retraced a few steps, may be out of fear. I caressed the top of its head to assure that there was nothing to worry. I was only a friend. Animals understand the language of love. The kitten stepped forward, and started licking the milk. I felt a sudden feeling of warmth and goodness within me. I sat besides my new buddy, watching it drink.

At times, the kitten would raise its head, look at me, and then again go back to its food. After it had fully satisfied itself, it walked towards me, and jumped on my lap. I never had a pet, and this was only my first close acquaintance with an animal (if you ignore the incidents of dogs barking at me and chasing me on roads). The kitten then inched towards my hands, and started licking them. I had never experienced a love of this kind before. I tickled its tummy, it ran and then returned to me.

We spent the entire evening playing. The rain finally stopped, and I heard the mew of a cat outside. The kitten jumped as soon as it heard the sound, and ran towards the door. I opened the door, and saw a white cat sitting. The kitten seemed leaped in delight, and sped towards the cat. I guessed it was probably the mother, and what better scene can there be than a mother – child union?

The two walked away, playing and jumping and running. I kept looking at them, until they were no longer in sight. I was feeling happy, and at peace. All worries of morning seemed to have evaporated. I was bathed with a dawn of optimism and positivity. After all, I spent the entire day with a new friend. Being #together is powerful, and it’s the best thing one can have. Trust me.



This post is inspired by Housing.com - #Together.

Check the official page below:



I agree to ensure (to the best of my abilities and circumstances) that this blog post will remain accessible in an un-altered state for a minimum of one year.




5 comments:

  1. Being can be powerful alright, but in a way, we are always alone ... Love, cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... meow ... smiles ...

      Delete
    2. We are alone, but sometimes a little company makes us feel better :-)

      Delete