Sunday, April 28, 2013

A Test To Pass





"Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat," she repeated, slowly.

Mrs. Morgan sighed. There was no way she could grant passing marks to Katherine in the Culinary Test this semester.

"I already heard that twice my girl. What next? What do you do after melting the butter to prepare this dish that you have been asked for?"

Katherine knew there was no way she could answer that. She made an attempt to recollect the recipe from her memory, but nothing fruitful came to her mind. She didn't love cooking, but she had to pass the subject.

A silent flood welled up inside those crystal eyes of hers.



This 109 Words Micro-Fiction is shared with Saturday Centus - Week 157.





25 comments:

  1. Oh that is very sad! The situation and emotion come through strongly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I not fond of cooking either. Well maybe the sweet stuff. Everything else I'd rather make reservations! :) ~Ames

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ... don't tell me ... I know nothing about cooking :-P

      Delete
  3. Seems like everybody has a "Mrs. Morgan" in their life at some point ... I remember my own home ec experiences ... ugh ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...melts my heart :) beautiful phrases as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let's re-label this throw-back micro-fiction since they no longer offer home-economics at most schools, a fact for which I am bitter and a fact for which your heroine would rejoice in. Nice writing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ... well it's all left to individual preferences :-)

      Delete
  6. Simply amazing. Such an apt description. It really did made my heart melt, those lines, such surreal depiction. :D You truly rock !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wasn't very good at Home Ec either. I remember putting in too much salt for a pie crust, ha!! i feel for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we all have our own hobbies and love :-)

      Delete
  8. Very nice story! Well written and certainly tugged at the heart strings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor Katherine :( why did her memory have to melt during her test? Wonderfully written..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just goes to show, you have to do what you love. This post is a great lesson for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like me in high school.

    Who knew I would go on to become a champion butter melter!?!

    Clever take on the prompt.

    ReplyDelete